What is CBD?
Your Guide To CBD And Its Many Benefits
Over the last few years, the buzz surrounding CBD products has grown bigger and bigger, and now more people than ever before have started to become more interested in finding out more about how they can provide unique benefits for health and well-being. If you’re ready to know more about CBD – how it’s made, the advantages that it offers and the ways in which you can take it – you’ve come to the right place. This beginners’ guide to CBD tells you all the basics you need to know about this beneficial product so that you can decide whether it’s right for you.
Where Does CBD Come From?
There are still a few common misconceptions about CBD products, however we’ll address those here so that you can make an informed decision.
While it’s true that CBD is one of the components of the cannabis plant that doesn’t mean that it makes you high. In fact it is one of the other primary components of the plant, THC, which produces the psychoactive effect that cannabis is known for. CBD, on the other hand, offers numerous benefits without any negative effects on your cognitive function.
In fact, the CBD content in our products is derived from industrial hemp, a form of cannabis plant which is naturally high in CBD and very low in THC. If we look at some of the similarities and differences between industrial hemp and marijuana we see that while both come from the cannabis sativa L. plant, hemp is a taller plant of up to 15 feet in height while THC producing cannabis plants only average about 5 feet. So long as hemp is only pollinated by its own crop members it retains extremely low THC levels so CBD extracted from these plants using safe CO2 extraction methods won’t produce ant psychoactive effects.
What Forms Does CBD Take?
There are numerous forms of CBD available to make it easier to take by those who want to experience its benefits. Depending on the effect that you are hoping to achieve and the conditions that you are suffering from, certain methods may be better suited to your needs than others. Some of the ways in which you can take CBD include:
- Sub-lingual tinctures
- Edibles or beverages such as gummies or infused baked goods
- Topical creams and balms
- Concentrated oil
One of the most popular ways of taking CBD is to ingest it, during which process it passes through your body’s digestive system before being metabolized by your liver to deliver the active compounds through the bloodstream. This can be done with edibles, food additives, capsules or tablets. Alternatively, it can be held under the tongue in the form of sublingual drops. These mucus membranes absorb the CBD for speedier delivery, however for even faster delivery, vaping CBD oil or infused e-juice is an even quicker way to get the cannabinoids into your system since there is no need for them to pass through the digestive system first. For anyone who has topical pain, using a CBD infused balm or cream directly on the affected area is often the best way to find relief. CBD infused cosmetic products also offer a host of benefits for the skin, helping it to stay healthy and looking its best.
Why Take CBD?
CBD products have become incredibly popular over the last few years as more people, including those working in the medical profession, have started to recognise the benefits that they can bring for health and well-being.
There are now numerous studies which have been carried out which have proven both in laboratory conditions and in animal tests and in some cases in human trials, that CBD has a number of health advantages to offer that can help those who suffer from a host of medical problems and conditions, some of which are not easily relieved using traditional pharmaceutical medications.
Here are just some of the health benefits that CBD products have been proven through research to provide:
- Pain relief – the body has its own endocannabinoid system which is essential in regulating numerous bodily functions including pain, immune system responses, appetite and sleep. CBD is able to help to reduce chronic pain as it impacts on the activity of the endocannabinoid receptors to reduce inflammation. In studies, CBD has been shown to be effective in reducing inflammation, arthritic pain and MS.
- Relief of depression and anxiety – with mental health disorders more prevalent than ever before, finding an effective way to treat anxiety and depression is vital. While there are numerous pharmaceutical treatments available, many produce unwanted side effects like insomnia, headaches, weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Some are even highly addictive. CBD oil, on the other hand, is an all-natural alternative to these options and human trials have shown a lot of promise in helping people to over social anxiety and PTS
- Relief of cancer-related symptoms – CBD is helpful in alleviating the symptoms and side effects of cancer treatments including pain, vomiting and nausea. Some animal and lab studies have even demonstrated a potential for CBD to have anti-cancer properties and this introduces exciting potential for the future for human subjects.
- Reduced Acne – CBD can help to reduce the inflammation and sebum production which results in this distressing skin condition that affects almost a tenth of the population.
- Neuroprotective properties – CBD acts on the body’s endocannabinoid system offering potential benefits for people suffering from neurological disorders like MS and epilepsy. This has been shown to be especially the case when treating children who suffer from Dravet Syndrome and who were resistant to standard pharmaceutical medications. It has also been linked with positive results for those who suffer from Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Better heart health – CBD can reduce blood pressure, benefiting the circulatory system and heart. Since hypertension raises the risk for strokes and heart attacks, this is a useful alternative to more conventional medications.
CBD has also been the subject of numerous other studies and been shown to potentially have other benefits including:
- Antipsychotic Effects which help those suffering from schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders
- As a useful agent in the treatment of substance abuse since it may reduce dependence
- Anti-tumor effects, potentially preventing breast, brain, lung, colon and prostate cancer from spreading
- Prevention of diabetes
With so many potential benefits and very few known side effects, it’s no wonder that CBD products have become so popular over recent years. Whether you’re suffering from a mental health condition, chronic pain or a neurodegenerative condition, CBD could well offer you a way to find relief from your symptoms. With research ongoing into cannabidiol’s many uses and advantages, it’s highly likely that new therapeutic uses will be discovered in the near future and demand for these beneficial products will only continue to rise.